Faculty - Geoffrey Thorpe
382 Little Hall
**Note to applicants: Dr. Thorpe is no longer accepting students.
My current research focuses on questionnaire surveys of irrational beliefs as studied by rational emotive behavior therapy and cognitive therapy researchers and practitioners, and on the development of factual knowledge tests pertinent to competencies needed by defendants in the criminal justice system. The data are analyzed via classical test theory and modern test theory methodology.
As I am nearing retirement I am no longer accepting doctoral research advisees, but I continue to collaborate in research with Dr. Sandra Sigmon and Dr. Lira Yoon and their graduate students.
- Thorpe, G. L., Sigmon, S. T., & Yoon, K. L. (in press). Agoraphobia and panic disorder. In: V. S. Ramachandran (Ed.), Encyclopedia of human behavior (2nd ed.). Oxford: Elsevier.
- Thorpe, G. L., & Burrows, R. D. (2010). [Review of the Personality Assessment Inventory – Second Edition.] In R. A. Spies, J. F. Carlson, & K. F. Geisinger (Eds.), The eighteenth mental measurements yearbook (pp. 422-424). Lincoln, NE: Buros Institute of Mental Measurements.
- Thorpe, G. L., & Owings, L. R. (2010). [Review of the Inventory of Offender Risk, Needs, and Strengths.] In R. A. Spies, J. F. Carlson, & K. F. Geisinger (Eds.),The eighteenth mental measurements yearbook (pp. 271-273). Lincoln, NE: Buros Institute of Mental Measurements.
- Thorpe, G. L., & Sigmon, S. T. (2010). Cognitive aspects of health psychology: Recent developments. Journal of Rational-Emotive and Cognitive-Behavior Therapy, 28, 1-3.
- Thorpe, G. L., & Sigmon, S. T. (2009). Behavior therapy. In I. Marini & M. A. Stebnicki (Eds.), The professional counselor’s desk reference (pp. 337-344). New York: Springer.
- Thorpe, G. L., McMillan, E., Owings, L. R., & Dawson, R. (2008). Behavior therapy and termination. In W. T. O’Donohue & M. A. Cucciare (Eds.),Terminating psychotherapy: A clinician’s guide (pp. 229-249). New York: Routledge.
- Thorpe, G. L., McMillan, E., Sigmon, S. T., Owings, L. R., Dawson, R., & Bouman, P. (2007). Latent trait modeling with the Common Beliefs Survey: Using item response theory to evaluate an irrational beliefs inventory. Journal of Rational-Emotive and Cognitive-Behavior Therapy, 25, 175-189.