- Clery Safety and Security Report - http://umaine.edu/clery -
Posted By Steve Martell On July 26, 2010 @ 12:27 In | Comments Disabled
- Arson – Any willful or malicious burning or attempt to burn, with or without intent to defraud, a dwelling house, public building, motor vehicle or aircraft, personal property of another, etc.
- Criminal Homicide – Manslaughter by Negligence – The killing of another person through gross negligence.
- Criminal Homicide – Murder and Nonnegligent Manslaughter – The willful (nonnegligent) killing of one human being by another.
- Robbery – The taking or attempting to take anything of value from the care, custody, or control of a person or persons by force or threat of force or violence and/or by putting the victim in fear.
- Aggravated Assault – An unlawful attack by one person upon another for the purpose of inflicting severe or aggravated bodily injury. This type of assault usually is accompanied by the use of a weapon or by means likely to produce death or great bodily harm. (It is not necessary that injury result from an aggravated assault when a gun, knife, or other weapon is used which could and probably would result in serious personal injury if the crime were successfully completed.)
- Burglary – The unlawful entry of a structure to commit a felony or theft. For reporting purposes this definition includes: unlawful entry with the intent to commit a larceny or felony; breaking and entering with the intent to commit a larceny; housebreaking; safecracking; and all attempts to commit any of the aforementioned.
- Motor Vehicle Theft – The theft or attempted theft of a motor vehicle. (Classify as motor vehicle theft all cases where automobiles are taken by persons not having lawful access even though the vehicles are later abandoned, including joyriding.)
- Weapon Law Violations – The violation of State and local laws or ordinances dealing with weapon offenses, regulatory in nature such as: manufacture, sale, or possession of deadly weapons; and all attempts to commit any of the aforementioned.
- Drug Abuse Violations – Violations of State and local laws relating to the unlawful possession, sale, use, growing, manufacturing, and making of narcotic drugs. The relevant substances include: opium or cocaine and their derivatives (morphine, heroin, codeine); marijuana; synthetic narcotics (demerol, methadone); and dangerous nonnarcotic drugs (barbituates, benzedrine).
- Liquor Law Violations – The violations of laws or ordinances prohibiting the manufacture, sale, transporting, furnishing, possession of intoxicating liquor, maintaining unlawful drinking places; bootlegging; operating a still; furnishing liquor to a minor or intemperate person; using a vehicle for illegal transportation of liquor, drinking on a train or public conveyance; and all attempts to commit any of the aforementioned. (Drunkenness and driving while under the influence are not included in this definition.)
Article printed from Clery Safety and Security Report: http://umaine.edu/clery
URL to article: http://umaine.edu/clery/umaine-campus-crime-statistics/crime-definitions/
Click here to print.
Copyright © 2010 Clery Report. All rights reserved.