Information for Prospective Students - Program Prerequisites
- An undergraduate degree in science, mathematics, engineering, secondary science or mathematics education, or a closely related field.
- Students working toward certification must pass all required Praxis exams (students may be admitted conditionally upon passing these exams during their first year in the program, if other program prerequisites are satisfied). Students need to take the Praxis I exam, and the Praxis II (content specific) exam. You are not required to take the Praxis Methods exam. Completing SMT 501-502, 503-504, or 505-506 classes satisfies this methods requirement for the state.
Physics and Astronomy concentration:
- two semesters physics (PHY111/112 or PHY121/122 or equivalent),
- one semester chemistry (CHY121/123 or equivalent), and
- two semesters calculus (MAT126/127 or equivalent) are required, all with a grade of B or better.
Earth Sciences concentration:
- two semesters geology (GES101, GES102 or GES105 or equivalent), and
- one semester of chemistry (CHY121/123 or equivalent) , and
- two semesters of calculus (MAT126/127 or equivalent) are required, all with a grade of B or better.
- two semesters calculus (MAT126/127 or equivalent), both with a grade of B or better.
- requirements for two of the concentrations above must be met.
Back to Information for Prospective Students