Skip Navigation

Retirees & UMaine Employees

RETIREES: We are a membership-only provider for both the SilverSneakers and Silver & Fit® Programs.  Check your health plan to see whether it offers either of these benefits.  If it does, email Kristie Deschesne or call 581-3479 to find out if you qualify for a free membership!


PLEASE NOTE: The information below is supplied by University of Maine Campus Recreation and only applies to employees of the flagship campus in Orono (“UM”) and System Wide Services (“SWS”) who choose to use the Orono facilities.  Employees of other campuses should refer to the UMS Benefits Office website at .

The voucher program grants free access to UMaine System campus fitness facilities to all employees of several employee bargaining units (listed below).  For now, only the units listed below are eligible, because they are the only contracts that have been executed to date, but we have been told that others will be coming on board in the future.

Eligible Bargaining Units:
The list below will be updated as soon as we receive the list of each newly eligible bargaining unit’s employees. 

  • AFUM Full-Time Faculty
  • AFUM Non-Reps
  • Other Non-Reps
  • COLT (Includes ACSUM)

Questions regarding your bargaining unit’s eligibility for the voucher program should be directed towards your bargaining unit.


Campus Recreation, HR, and the MaineCard office have worked together to automate the process for all voucher-eligible UM and SWS employees who have MaineCards.

If you meet those requirements, then once your unit’s contract is executed you can expect to receive an email from – most likely sent to your email address – stating that you have an active Voucher Pass valid for visits at the UM fitness facilities.  All you have to do is come to the Rec Center, check in with your MaineCard, and fill out a liability waiver (if you haven’t done it within the last year).

If you do not receive that email after your contract has been executed, this may be because you need to get a MaineCard.

If you’re in an eligible unit and you do have a MaineCard but you didn’t receive the email then please email Sharon Kenney so she can figure out why.  Meanwhile, you can access UM fitness facilities using the paper voucher that is available at HR.


Do I Need a Paper Voucher?  If you got an email from stating that you have a Voucher Pass, then that means you have an active electronic Voucher Pass valid for visits at the UM fitness facilities and you do not need to bring in a paper voucher.  You will check in with your MaineCard (or SWS ID Card) only.  If you did not get that email, then yes, you need to get a paper voucher from HR.

Don’t Live Near Orono? You can use your paper voucher at any campus fitness center system-wide.  All the campuses are handling this a little differently so please visit to find out how to proceed.

Visiting From Another Campus? If you are an employee registered at another campus and you would like to use the UM fitness facilities, then you can use your paper voucher for check-in.

Don’t have a MaineCard or SWS ID Card? If you’re an eligible UM or SWS employee and would like to use the UM fitness facilities, then ideally you should get a MaineCard or SWS ID Card.  If you cannot get one for some reason then you can use your paper voucher to get a RecCard printed for check-in.

Member Benefits: At UM, you have access to the New Balance Recreation Center, Maine Bound Adventure Center, Bridge Tennis Courts, Wallace Pool’s Rec Swim, Mahaney Dome’s Open Rec, and Public Skate / Stick & Puck at Alfond Arena.  At these facilities you are also eligible for the same member benefits as other full members receive, such as locker rental privileges (lockers are still not free, however) and discounts on many programs.  Family members who are not UM employees or students are eligible for free parking permits (max 2 per household).  Voucher holders will receive 6 guest visits between now and the contract expiration date of June 30, 2015.

Family Members on Employee’s Health Insurance: Employees may add their spouse/partner and dependents as long as they are included on the employee’s University of Maine Cigna health insurance plan.  If you would like your family added, please bring each of their health insurance cards with you to the front desk of the Rec Center.  (We don’t need to see your health insurance card… your own eligibility is not dependent on your health insurance status… but you DO need to be there.)

Family Members NOT on Employee’s Health Insurance: Employees’ family members who are not on UMaine health insurance may join at the Employee rate ($32/mo for the first person, and $0-$4 /mo for additional family members depending on age) even if they themselves are not Employees.  Employee is required to be present at the time of membership purchase.  Again, this is done at the Rec Center front desk.

Spouses/Partners Who Are Also Employees:
1. They may have their own record in our database (which we call a “household”) that has their own Voucher Pass on it.  This may mean that one of you will have your kids listed under you and the other will not, or it may mean the kids are listed in both places with a “family member link” between them.  Please just be aware of this situation in case you find you’re listed in your own household or your kids aren’t under you when you expect them to be.
2. They are not eligible for a Rec Center parking pass, they must purchase one through the Parking Office.

Paper Vouchers:  You can use a paper voucher here if you want to, but you won’t need one unless you don’t have a MaineCard (or SWS ID Card).

Check-In: The Employee must have a MaineCard in order to receive a Voucher Pass in our database.  This is also the card you’ll use for check-in.  If you do not have one, please visit the MaineCard office (in the Memorial Union) to get one.  If you cannot get a MaineCard for some reason then you can use your paper voucher to get a RecCard printed for check-in.  All family members who are not UMaine employees or UMaine students will also check in with a RecCard.  They can get their photo taken and a RecCard printed at their first visit to the Rec Center.

Parking: Family members who are not UMaine employees or UMaine students may get a free parking pass (valid only in the Rec Center lot); maximum 2 per household.  Please bring in your license plate number at your first visit and ask for a parking pass.

Current Campus Rec Members:  Voucher-eligible Employees who wish to cancel their membership in order to participate in the Voucher program may do so by filling out a Cancellation Request Form at the Rec Center front deskThis form cannot be emailed or faxed, it must be completed and turned in at the front desk so that the manager can ensure it’s filled out completely and correctly.  Membership refunds will be prorated from the date the form is filled out.  Employees switching to vouchers will not pay a membership cancellation fee.  Questions regarding membership cancellations should be emailed to Sharon Kenney.

Submit Feedback
Find us on Facebook

Campus Recreation is a Department Within Student Life

Division of Student Life

Maine Bound is Campus Recreation’s Outdoor Adventure Program

Maine Bound
Campus Recreation
5797 New Balance Student Recreation Center, 22 Hilltop Road, UMaine
Orono, Maine 04469-5797
Phone: (207) 581-1082 | Fax: (207) 581-4898
The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469