Membership & Locker Rates/Policies - Membership Policies
- Membership Periods
- Membership Eligibility
- General Membership Policies
- Membership Policies: Changes / Cancellations / Refunds
- Program Policies: Eligibility / Registration / Cancellation
- Services Policies
All memberships are inclusive of University breaks and holidays that fall within that period. Please note that hours will be reduced during breaks and holidays. Hours of operation are posted on the Campus Recreation website.
- 12-Month: 12 months from Date of Purchase
- Perpetual: Continues until canceled in writing
- Fall: Expires on December 31
- Spring: Expires on first Friday after graduation
- Summer: Expires on August 31
- All members and visitors must sign the General Use Liability Waiver prior to using the facility.
- Memberships become effective when payment is received, proof of membership eligibility is confirmed, and a signed Liability Waiver is received.
- Members may purchase “secondary” memberships for their spouse/partner and their dependent children aged 0-25. Secondary members must be added for a minimum period of 6 months, or the remaining duration of the membership, whichever is less.
- University of Maine full- and part-time students are automatic full members of Campus Recreation.
- Memberships are available to UMaine Employees, Alumni, and Retirees, Employees of our Corporate Affiliates, and Local Residents.
- Membership type and fee is based on an individual’s primary affiliation with the University of Maine. All memberships are subject to proof of affiliation, employment, or enrollment.
- Campus Recreation full membership is granted to all full-time and part-time undergraduate and graduate University of Maine students who attend classes on campus and pay the Recreation Center Fee. Membership is granted for the enrolled semester only.
- A MaineCard is required in order for membership to be automatically assigned in our system; contact Sharon Kenney, Assistant Director for Marketing and Membership, for exceptions.
- Individuals must be recognized as a full-time or part-time student as determined by the University of Maine. Contact the Office of Student Records at (207) 581-1290 for information.
- Students who are not enrolled for the current semester may purchase a “Student – Fee Due” membership for the next semester after the last term for which they were enrolled. For example, a student who does not take classes over the summer.
- Students who are only enrolled in online classes may purchase a “Student – Fee Due” membership.
- Students may purchase “secondary” memberships for their spouse/partner and their dependent children aged 0-25. Secondary members must be added for a minimum period of 3 months, or the remaining duration of the membership, whichever is less.
- Student and Student-Affiliated Secondary memberships are not pro-rated.
- An employee (full-time or part-time) at UMaine, UMaine System, or any other UMaine campus (proof of employment required),
- An employee of any company whose place of business is located on the Orono campus (proof of employment required),
- An employee of a local municipality (proof of employment required),
- An employee of a corporation that has established a formal corporate agreement with Campus Recreation (proof of employment required),
- A retiree* from the UMaine System or any UMaine campus (proof of retiree status required), or
- An active-duty member of the military (military ID required).
- To qualify as a UMaine Employee, the individual’s primary affiliation with the University must be employment. If the employee is also taking classes, or has a spouse/partner who is a student, their employment remains their primary affiliation.
- Employees who do not themselves want to be members may sponsor their spouse/partner and/or dependents for membership at the UMaine-Affiliated rate. Secondary members must be added for a minimum period of 6 months, or the remaining duration of the membership, whichever is less.
- If you have eligibility questions, please contact Sharon Kenney, Assistant Director for Marketing and Membership, at (207) 581-1082.
- University of Maine retiree must be a member for spouse/partner or dependents to have membership(s) under this category.
- Individual must have actually officially retired from the University of Maine, not just have worked there in the past.
- Retirees are eligible for Medicare may qualify for free memberships under the “Silver Sneakers” program. For more information, contact Kristie Deschesne, Associate Director for Programming, at (207) 581-1082.
- Local residents are eligible to purchase a membership and sponsor a secondary membership for their spouse/partner or dependents.
Memberships must be purchased by the primary affiliate. Secondary members must be added for a minimum period of 3 months, or the remaining duration of the membership, whichever is less.
- Spouse and Partner: Spouse/Partner memberships are intended for spouses and partners as defined by the University of Maine’s health benefits plans – click here for affadavit form. Campus Recreation members who wish to add their domestic partner – or a spouse with a different last name – are required to fill out and have notarized the same form they would use if they were a UMaine employee or student. The only difference is that it is not filed with UMaine Human Resources. If you are a UMaine employee, and UMaine Human Resources is already aware of your spouse’s/domestic partner’s relationship with you, you may fill out an authorization form that allows us to call HR and determine your spouse/partner’s eligibility.
- Dependents: Dependent memberships are intended for members’ dependents (aged 4-25 and/or declared dependent children) as defined by the University of Maine health benefits plan. Memberships are free for dependents aged 0-4. A parent or legal guardian must sign the Release and Assumption of Risk for all dependents under 18 years of age prior to the first use of the facility or programs.
Back to Top
We accept Cash, Check, MC/Visa/Discover credit cards, University of Maine Payroll Deduction, and Payroll Deduction from a select few of our Corporate Affiliates. “Perpetual” memberships must be paid via automatic credit/debit card payments, or by Payroll Deduction.
You can request changes to your membership at any time by filling out a Change/Cancel Form, located at the Member Services Desk at the Rec Center. Phone calls not accepted.
If a member’s University of Maine affiliation has changed and they are no longer eligible for membership under their current membership category, the member has two options:
- They may continue their membership at an adjusted rate based on their new status, or
- They may cancel membership and a refund will be prorated based on the paid-but-unused full months of membership. The administrative fee (below) will be waived.
Cancellation Terms for Perpetual Memberships:
- Your membership will continue until you notify Campus Recreation in writing via a Change/Cancel Form, located at the Member Services Desk at the Rec Center. Phone calls not accepted.
- Cancellations will be effective as of the end of the current month.
- If you hold this membership type for less than 1 year before cancelling, you will be assessed a $75 cancellation fee. If you hold this membership type for longer than 1 year you will not be charged a cancellation fee.
Cancellation Terms for All Other Memberships/Passes:
- Cancellations must be requested in writing via a Change/Cancel Form, located at the Member Services Desk at the Rec Center. Phone calls not accepted.
- Cancellations will be effective as of the end of the current month.
- A $25 administrative fee will apply to all membership cancellations except when dictated by medical necessity (doctor’s note required).
Campus Recreation reserves the right to revise, amend, and/or change any published information. Campus Recreation reserves the right to cancel courses, to set minimum and maximum sizes for programs, and to make decisions that affect the location and content of its programs. Therefore please check with Campus Recreation for current program information.
- All current members of Campus Recreation are eligible to participate in departmental programs such as fitness, Maine Bound, family programs, and other events. Registration and payment of additional fees may be required for participation in some programs.
- Non-members may participate in additional-fee programs at the non-member price.
- All undergraduate and graduate students currently enrolled at the University of Maine are eligible to participate in the Intramural Sports program.
- All undergraduate and graduate students currently enrolled at the University of Maine are eligible to participate in the Sports Club program.
Program Registration Procedures:
To register for Campus Recreation programs and events, call Campus Recreation (207) 581-1082, or visit the Member Services Desk at the Rec Center or MBAC. We accept cash, personal checks, and MC/Visa, with full payment due upon registration. Current University of Maine students may elect to be billed through the Business Office for Maine Bound programs. Early registration is advised as space is limited.
You can request a cancellation of your program enrollment at any time by filling out a Change/Cancel Form, located at the Member Services Desk at the Rec Center. Phone calls not accepted. However, registrants who must cancel from a program should inform Campus Recreation as soon as possible. Registrants who cancel prior to the registration deadline receive a refund minus a $25 administrative fee, or the cost of the course, whichever is less. Students who cancel prior to the registration deadline will be billed the administrative fee on their student account. Non-students will be refunded the program fee minus a $25 administrative fee. No refunds can be given after the registration deadline. If Campus Recreation cancels a program, full refunds will be given.
Back to Top
- Sports equipment, locks, and towels (see below) are available for free checkout in the Rec Center at the Front Desk. Climbing equipment for use at the MBAC is available for checkout at the Maine Bound Entry Desk.
- A MaineCard, RecCard, or Day Pass receipt is required to check out equipment from the Equipment Issue Desk or the Maine Bound Entry Desk.
- Equipment must be returned at least 15 minutes prior to facility close.
- Participants are financially responsible for any loss or damage to equipment while it is in their possession and/or in their responsibility, including equipment used by their sponsored guest. Participants will be assessed up to the market value for replacement of lost/damaged items.
- Campus Recreation can not responsible for loss or damage to personal equipment or apparel utilized by participants in any facility operated by the Department.
- Towels are available at the Front Desk, for members and specialty pass holders only.
- Towels must be checked out to each member/passholder by name; only one towel at a time.
- Lost or stolen towels will be the responsibility of the member/passholder, and will result in a $10 replacement charge.