Membership & Locker Rates/Policies - Mahaney Dome Policies
Activities Permitted in the Dome
Generally, almost any recreational or sports-related activity is permitted in the Dome. However, for safety reasons, there are some activities and/or equipment that are prohibited in the Dome during open recreation times.
Prohibited Activities for Safety Reasons
- Playing lacrosse w/lacrosse balls
- Batting baseballs/softballs
Additionally, there are some activities which can occur in the Dome when they are the only activity in the Dome.
Exclusive Use Activities for Safety Reasons
- Field Hockey
- Baseball/Fast Pitch Softball
Most often, there will be more than one activity in the Dome at one time. During Intramural Sports, Sport Clubs (Clubs), and Open Recreation times, a Campus Recreation supervisor will be in the Dome to help manage space to ensure safety and maximum use of the field.
Access + Food/Water
- Any member of the UMaine community may use the Dome during Open Recreation hours by simply presenting their MaineCard to the supervisor upon entry.
- The main entrance to the Dome is on the west side (the side closest to the Fieldhouse)
- Other doors are for emergency use only so please enter and exit by the west door.
- Shoes are required (no bare feet)
- To keep injuries to a minimum and to protect the new turf, only clean sneakers, rubber cleats, or turf shoes are permitted. no steel cleats)
- There are no drinking fountains in the Dome but water will be provided by Campus Recreation
- Sport drinks, personal water bottles, and other beverages cannot be permitted in order to keep the area clean and free of pests
- Food, gum, sports bars or gels, and similar products are prohibited for the same reason
- The Dome is an alcohol and tobacco-free facility
Sportsmanship and Stewardship
- Good sportsmanship is a hallmark of UMaine students. Being considerate of others, playing fair, being mindful of safety, and respecting opponents and this great facility are part of being a good sport.
- Please be sure to report all accidents and injuries to the Campus Recreation Supervisor or the SMART Responder (first aid person).
- The Dome is a wonderful addition to the UMaine campus. It is important to take good care of it so that it can be enjoyed by students and employees for years to come.
- Be sure to report maintenance problems to Campus Recreation ((207) 581-1051).
- Please also report any vandalism to the Campus Recreation Supervisor or to UM Police ((207) 581-4040).
- All user of the Dome must follow the direction of the CR supervisor.
- All users should be aware of their impact on others experience and safety and adjust their play to maximize the safety and participation for all.
- Spitting is not permitted in the Dome
- Pets are the best, but no pets in the Dome please
- The Dome has no bathrooms or locker rooms.
- For these services, please use the Memorial Gym.
- Since the Dome is a new facility, ideas, comments, and suggestions would be very helpful.
- Please complete a comment card outside Room 140 Memorial Gym or send an email to David Mahan of Campus Recreation.