Employment Opportunities - Instructor for Instructional Classes
University of Maine – Campus Recreation
Student Job Description
University Job Classification: Student Athletic/Recreation Assistant V
Date Modified: 3/17/2010
Informal Title: Instructor for Instructional Classes (Dance, Martial Arts, & Others)
Supervisor: Assistant Director for Fitness
Responsibilities include providing safe, appropriate class instruction for participants of all ages and fitness levels, including students, faculty, staff, and community members. Instructors are expected to adhere to teaching methods and modalities accepted as safe and appropriate by Campus Recreation and industry professionals/ governing bodies that Campus Recreation promotes. We expect our instructors to teach and model appropriate forms of their specific skills set, and to conduct classes in a professional manner. They are responsible for facilitating a fun, safe and welcoming environment for participants and staff members at all times. Before employment begins they are required to achieve certifications in Professional Rescuer CPR, Standard First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogens, and the use of an Automated External Defibrillator.
Duties and Responsibilities
The responsibilities of this position include:
- Welcome participants to class, take attendance, conduct participant counts and other administrative tasks related to the program.
- Ensure the safety of class participants through performing heart rate assessments, demonstrating safe and correct form for proper mechanics, modify skills when necessary, and appropriately warming up / cooling down.
- Perform setup / take down for classes as needed.
- Model, promote, and consistently enforce policies for Campus Recreation.
- Provide positive public relations, program promotion and policy education to participants pertaining to Campus Recreation.
- Maintain all certifications and written and oral communications with other student staff, supervisors, and administrative staff.
- Respond to injuries and assist in immediate first aid and proper emergency procedures.
- Provide a welcoming, inclusive environment for staff and participants.
- Perform student evaluations and recommendations for merit increases.
- Attend staff meetings and training’s.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
As a class instructor, you are expected to be friendly, knowledgeable and welcoming to participants, outlining safe and appropriate plans for their fitness level, interest and needs . We expect all employees to have a positive attitude, show up for work on time, dress professionally, and perform all assigned duties in a professional manner. In addition, we expect all employees to treat everyone with respect.
- Dependability, responsibility, and punctuality
- Professional attire and behavior
- Knowledge of, and/or interest in, recreation and fitness activities
- Enthusiasm, desire to learn, and desire to work as part of a team
- Ability to operate independently within departmental standards of conduct and professional expectations
- With proper training, awareness of risk management and safety concerns
- Awareness of and appreciation for individual uniqueness and diversity
- Ability to obtain certifications in Professional Rescuer CPR, Standard First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogens, and the use of an Automated External Defibrillator
- Commitment to student development and leadership
- Ability to work during academic year
- Ability to work during school breaks and holidays (preferred)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent decision making ability
- Previous supervisory and/or leadership experience
- Ability to lift 23-50lbs
- Demonstrated knowledge of safe and appropriate operation of standard fitness equipment
- Reasonable level of fitness
- First Aid/CPR
Priority May be given to individuals with the following certification(s):
- Affiliations, certifications and/or experience in the field of the subject matter you teach.
Position Type: – Pay Level VI: $9.20-10.60
* Work Study / Work Merit: Work Study – Optional
Time Commitment: Minimum 1 hours per week.
Minimum Shift: Event Duration
Shift Days/Times: 2 sessions a semester for 6 weeks (times/days depend on availability)
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
Interested applicants please contact Julia Avans at firstname.lastname@example.org | 581-3482.
The University of Maine Campus Recreation Department is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity, and actively encourages applications from women, persons of color, and individuals from other underrepresented groups.
A Member of the University of Maine System