Employment Opportunities - Assistant for Fitness
University of Maine – Campus Recreation
Student Job Description
University Job Classification: Student Athletic/Recreation Assistant I
Date Modified: 8/15/2007
Informal Title: Assistant for Fitness
Supervisor: Graduate Assistant for Fitness/Wellness
The primary purpose of this position is fitness support for the Student Recreation and Fitness Center. Responsibilities assisting participants with fitness equipment, cleaning and assisting with preventive maintenance of equipment, responding to maintenance concerns, and scanning the facility for safety. This is a demanding, high-volume position with emphasis on risk management, customer service, participant safety, and positive relations. Assistants for fitness are responsible for facilitating a fun, safe and welcoming environment for participants and staff members at all times. Before employment begins they are required to achieve certifications in Professional Rescuer CPR, Standard First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogens, and the use of an Automated External Defibrillator.
Duties and Responsibilities
The responsibilities of this position include:
- Assist participants in basic use of fitness equipment such as cardio machines, selectorized weights, and plate loaded weight machines.
- Clean equipment and mats; assist with preventive maintenance on machines.
- Restock equipment cleaning stations.
- Model, promote, and consistently enforce policies for Campus Recreation.
- Ensure that participants comply with posted rules and policies.
- Straighten and organize fitness rooms and supplies.
- Be knowledgeable of all Campus Recreation programs and services.
- Provide positive public relations, program promotion and policy education to participants.
- Maintain all certifications and written and oral communications with staff, supervisors and administrative staff members.
- Respond to injuries and assist in immediate first aid and proper emergency procedures.
- Provide a welcoming, inclusive environment for staff and participants.
- Perform student evaluations and recommendations for merit increases.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
As an Assistant for Fitness, you are expected to be a friendly, knowledgeable and welcoming to participants, demonstrate safe and appropriate use of fitness equipment and maintain safe, clean facilities and equipment. We expect all employees to have a positive attitude, show up for work on time, dress professionally, and perform all assigned duties in a professional manner. In addition, we expect all employees to treat everyone with respect.
- Dependability, responsibility, and punctuality
- Professional attire and behavior
- Knowledge of, and/or interest in, recreation and fitness activities
- Enthusiasm, desire to learn, and desire to work as part of a team
- Ability to operate independently within departmental standards of conduct and professional expectations
- With proper training, awareness of risk management and safety concerns
- Awareness of and appreciation for individual uniqueness and diversity
- Ability to obtain certifications in Professional Rescuer CPR, Standard First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogens, and the use of an Automated External Defibrillator
- Commitment to student development and leadership
- Ability to work during academic year
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent decision making ability
- Previous supervisory and/or leadership experience
- Basic computer skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of safe and appropriate operation of standard fitness equipment
- Reasonable level of fitness
Position Type: – Pay Level III: $7.00-7.65
* Work Study / Work Merit: Work Study Optional
Time Commitment: Minimum 10 hours per week.
Minimum Shift: 2 hours
Shift Days/Times: M-F 5:30am-12am; Sa-Su 10am-10pm
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
Interested applicants please contact Julia Avans at firstname.lastname@example.org | 581-3482.
The University of Maine Campus Recreation Department is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity, and actively encourages applications from women, persons of color, and individuals from other underrepresented groups.
A Member of the University of Maine System