Employment Opportunities - Assistant for Entry Desks
University of Maine – Campus Recreation
Student Job Description
University Job Classification: Student Cashier I
Date Modified: 3/14/2007
Informal Title: Assistant for Entry Desks
Supervisor: Asst Dir for Operations or Maine Bound Coordinator
The primary purpose of this position is member services at the all Campus Rec facilities. Assistants for Entry Desks will be expected to train for a few weeks at either the Student Recreation and Fitness Center or the Maine Bound Adventure Center, but after that training period they will be expected to work at either facility interchangeably. They will serve as cheerful and informative first points of contact for all members and visitors. They are responsible for facilitating a fun, safe and welcoming environment for participants and staff members at all times. Before employment begins he or she is required to achieve certifications in Professional Rescuer CPR, Standard First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogens, and the use of an Automated External Defibrillator.
Duties and Responsibilities
The responsibilities of this position include:
- Serve as a cheerful and informative first point of contact for all members and visitors.
- Answer inquiries about the facility.
- Respond to member concerns as appropriate, and/or refer member to professional staff.
- Control access to facility, including basic facility and program orientation as required.
- Operate the cash register system.
- Sell day passes.
- Sell a small selection of retail items; balance and report cash transactions.
- File paperwork; perform other general office support duties as needed.
- Perform light-duty cleaning such as vacuuming and dusting.
- Monitor the building alarm system, intercom system, and phones.
- Respond to injuries and assist in immediate first aid and proper emergency procedures.
- Provide a welcoming, inclusive environment for staff and participants.
- Perform student evaluations and recommendations for merit increases.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
As an Assistant for Entry Desks, you are expected to be a friendly, knowledgeable and informative first point of contact for Campus Recreation. We expect all employees to have a positive attitude, show up for work on time, dress professionally, and perform all assigned duties in a professional manner. In addition, we expect all employees to treat everyone with respect.
- Dependability, responsibility, and punctuality
- Professional attire and behavior
- Knowledge of, and/or interest in, recreation and fitness activities
- Enthusiasm, desire to learn, and desire to work as part of a team
- Ability to operate independently within departmental standards of conduct and professional expectations
- With proper training, awareness of risk management and safety concerns
- Awareness of and appreciation for individual uniqueness and diversity
- Ability to obtain certifications in Professional Rescuer CPR, Standard First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogens, and the use of an Automated External Defibrillator
- Commitment to student development and leadership
- Ability to work during academic year
- Ability to work during school breaks and holidays (preferred)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organization skills
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to use various types of standard office and retail equipment
- Two references (professional or academic)
Position Type – Pay Level II: $6.90-7.65
* Work Study / Work Merit: Work Study Optional
Time Commitment: Minimum 6 hours per week.
Minimum Shift: 2 hours
Shift Days/Times: M-F 5:00am-12am; Sat 8am-10pm; Su 10am-10pm
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
The University of Maine Department of Campus Recreation is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity, and is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer. Minorities, women, and members of protected groups are encouraged to apply.
A Member of the University of Maine System