Employment Opportunities - Assistant for Maine Bound Entry Desk
University of Maine – Campus Recreation
Student Job Description
University Job Classification: Student Athletic/Recreation Assistant I
Date Modified: 8/15/2007
Informal Title: Assistant for Maine Bound Entry Desk
Supervisor: Maine Bound Coordinator
The primary purpose of this position is adventure leadership and instruction at the Maine Bound Adventure Center. This Assistant’s primary responsibility is to oversee the safe use of the climbing wall during general open climbing hours. Additionally, he or she will teach belay seminars and facilitate private contract programs. He or she will provide excellent customer service and always be attentive to members’ needs. The person holding this position is responsible for facilitating a fun, safe and welcoming environment for participants and staff members at all times. Before employment begins they are required to achieve certifications in Professional Rescuer CPR, Standard First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogens, and the use of an Automated External Defibrillator.
Duties and Responsibilities
The responsibilities of this position include:
- Instruct Level 1 Belay Seminar.
- Conduct Level 1 Belay Skills Test.
- Instruct Level 2 Lead Climbing Seminars.
- Perform safety checks on climbing facility.
- Perform personal climbing and personal gear safety checks.
- Lead basic group activities and organized climbs.
- Maintain climbing equipment.
- Respond to injuries and assist in immediate first aid and proper emergency procedures.
- Provide a welcoming, inclusive environment for staff and participants.
- Perform student evaluations and recommendations for merit increases.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
As an Assistant for the Climbing Wall, you are expected to be a friendly, knowledgeable and vigilant representative of Maine Bound and Campus Recreation. We expect all employees to have a positive attitude, show up for work on time, dress professionally, and perform all assigned duties in a professional manner. In addition, we expect all employees to treat everyone with respect.
- Dependability, responsibility, and punctuality
- Professional attire and behavior
- Knowledge of, and/or interest in, recreation and fitness activities
- Enthusiasm, desire to learn, and desire to work as part of a team
- Ability to operate independently within departmental standards of conduct and professional expectations
- With proper training, awareness of risk management and safety concerns
- Awareness of and appreciation for individual uniqueness and diversity
- Ability to obtain certifications in Professional Rescuer CPR, Standard First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogens, and the use of an Automated External Defibrillator
- Commitment to student development and leadership
- Ability to work during academic year
- Ability to work during school breaks and holidays (preferred)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Reasonable level of physical fitness
- Belay approval at the Maine Bound Adventure Center
- Two references (professional or academic)
Priority may be given to individuals with the following certification(s):
- AMGA Top Rope Site Manager
Position Type: – Pay Level I: $7.00-7.65
*Work Study / Work Merit: Work Study – Optional
Time Commitment: Minimum 5 hours per week.
Minimum Shift: 2 hours
Shift Days/Times: Weekdays, weeknights, and weekends
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
The University of Maine Campus Recreation Department is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity, and actively encourages applications from women, persons of color, and individuals from other underrepresented groups.
A Member of the University of Maine System