MBS Corps - MBS Corps Archives
MBS Corps Archives.
Take a look at what we have done in the past.
Spring 2012 semester was great! Here are the projects we worked on:
- Saturday, April 7th: 10:00 pm – 1:00 am. Bear Brew fund-raiser: A group of our MBS Corps leaders raised money at this event to benefit Save our Strays.
- Saturday, April 21st: 12:00pm-4:00pm: 1st Lt Zimmerman Fitness Challenge. We had 2 great teams who braved the cold weather as well as the running, sull-ups, sit-ups, mud pit and more to honor 1st Lt. Zimmerman and help raise money for the scholarship in his name. Click here to see pictures!
- Monthly Zumba Sunday, April 22, 1-2 pm, Rec center.
- Saturday, April 28th: Hike for the Homeless: We had a great turnout of MBS Corps folks who joined a sea of walkers to help the homeless in Bangor! Click here to see pictures!
- Saturday, March 31st from 6:30-9pm at the Buchanan Alumni House on campus, the MBS Corps volunteered at the Spruce Run Silent Auction.
- Saturday, March 17th: A core group of MBS Corps volunteers cooked a delicious dinner of roast chicken with potatoes, salad and break for the families of sick children staying at the Ronald McDonald House!
- Monthly Zumba fund raiser: Sunday March 18th, 1-2 pm, Rec. center: another great Zumba class attended by students and faculty to help “Save our Strays-Maine” with the instructor donating her time and the UMaine Rec Center donating the room… thank you all!
- Special Olympics: Monday, Feb 13 and Tues. Feb. 14., Hermon Mt.: We had a wonderful contingent of MBS Corps student volunteers on both days helping at this great event.
- Zumba: Sunday, Feb. 19th, 1-2 pm, Rec center. Another fun Zumba class with about a dozen folks participating. We have donated over $200 to “Save our Strays- Maine” so far as a result of these zumba classes!
MBS Corps leader donating toys to principal at local elementary school
The MBS Corps toy drive was a success! Led my our MBA student, Ms. Anna Assenmacher, the MBS Corps worked collaboratively with the the Gamma Sigma Sigma service sorority to collect toys for children at the Downeast Elementary School in Bangor. Toys were collected the week of December 5 – 9 from 10:00 am – 2:00 in the UMaine student union and from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm in the Foster Student Innovation Center. People who donated a toy or cash got a raffle ticket for a chance to win one of several great prizes including an Amazon Kindle or a gift card to Longhorn Steak House, Sam’s Club, Wal-Mart, Hannaford, Verve and others! The toy drive was a huge success, ending with about 150 toys. Click here to see:
the pictures of the toy drive
the TV spot about in on WABI
The MBS Food drive was a success! Led by our MBA student, Mr. Lawrence (TJ) Caldwell, we collected a small mountain of food for the Crossroads food pantry in Old Town. Professor Martha Broderick and her business law class also greatly helped with this effort. We estimate that there were about 300 hundred non-perishable food items donated by Maine Business School students, faculty and staff.
MBS Corps volunteers at Acadia National Park Cleanup Nov 5, 2011
Saturday, November 5, 2011: A group of our MBS Corps volunteers helped with the annual cleanup at Acadia National Park. Please click here to see the pictures.
Friday, November 4, 2011: The MBS Corps raised enough money during the Homecoming raffle to purchase over 100 pair of gloves and hats for area children in need.
MBS Corps leader giving donation to Spruce Run, Nov. 3, 2011
Thursday, November 3, 2011: The MBS Corps volunteers participated in October’s “Paint Penobscot Purple” month for the second year. Our volunteers made and sold purple ribbons and distributed information on how to spot, prevent, and stop domestic violence. The proceeds from the sale of the ribbons was doanted to Spruce Run in Bangor.
The Susan G. Koman Race for the Cure on Sunday, September 18th was a nice event. Our group completed the 5K walk, it was a beautiful day and we had the opportunity to MBS Corps alumni… some even drove up from Portland to join us!
Spring semester 2011 events:
May: Special Olympics: Ms. Sundberg again volunteered with the Special Olympics games at the UMaine field house.
Hike for the Homeless, Saturday, April 9th: Thank you to our wonderful volunteers who walked 4+ miles on a beautiful Saturday morning to help homeless people in Bangor. Click here to see the slide show.
How Sweet it was! Saturday, April 2: Spruce Run Silent Auction:
For the second year, the MBS Corps provided support to Spruce Run with their silent auction (with delicious desert room) to raise money to stop domestic violence. Special thanks to our MBS Corps volunteers:
Jacob Baker: draped in pink 50-50 raffle tickets, he single-handedly sold hundreds of dollars of these tickets.
Cassie Vaillancourt: who made over 500 purple ribbons for awareness of domestic violence this past fall, was indispensable during this event in selling tickets and providing overall support in all areas.
Samantha Wood: one of our newest MBS Corps leaders, was extraordinary in her support activities from start to finish with a smile that inspired all the participants.
Gaylen Jones: once again provided support in all areas from auction support to clean-up; our steadfast volunteer.
Thanks everyone…. we’ll be back at the auction next year!
THANK YOU to everyone who took the time from your busy schedules to cook dinner at the Ronald McDonald house on Saturday, Feb 12th! This included:
Take a look at the slide show, provided by Mr. Stefan Lange: http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee286/mbamsa/Ronald%20Mcdonald%20House%20Dinner%20Feb2011/?albumview=slideshow
Everything looked delicious and I know how much the families appreciated everything you all did!! Imagine spending an emotionally-draining day at the hospital with your sick child and how nice it would be to arrive back to the RMH to a home-cooked hot dinner!
And THANK YOU to Ms. Amy Sundberg and her volunteers at the Special Olympics Winter games on Monday and Tuesday, Feb. 14 and 15th.
Again, taking the time from your busy schedules to help these folks and this organization was wonderful!
Take a look at some of the pictures from (COLD) Tuesday’s games:
- Special Olympics: October 30 Halloween Dance & Potluck
- October was Domestic Violence Awareness month. Thanks to the leadership of Ms. Cassie Vaillancourt, our first initiative in working to promote “Paint Penobscot Purple” was a success! Next year will be even better.
Be aware…Take Action…Stop Domestic Violence… Contact the Spruce Run hotline at 1-800-863-9909
Thank you to the MBS AMA and MBS Corps for producing this video!
Special thanks to:
- Ms. Cassie Vaillancourt for researching domestic violence, creating all of the flyers and promotional materials, and purple ribbons and being the leader and champion of this for the MBS Corps!
- Mr. Charles Hastings for filming, editing, and making this video for us!
- Ms. Katie Deegan for the song, dancing and motivation!
Thanks for these wonderful folks for participating in the video:
AMA (American Marketing Association):
Dr. Khan is hiding behind the signin the video!
- MBS Corps food drive for the UMaine Black Bear food pantry was Friday, October 29th and we collected LOTS of food.
- Saturday, October 9, 2010: Our MBS Corps volunteers helped with the Bangor Humane Society “Paws on Parade” event!
- Saturday, October 2, 2010: MBS students, faculty and staff donated food to the UMaine Black Bear Food pantry.
- Saturday, September 25th: Volunteers worked at the orphanage, cleaning cages, making toys and playing with the animals!
- Sunday, September 19th: Our MBS Corps team, raised almost $2200 to help find a cure for breast cancer! Take a look at our pictures (in reverse order) at
Wednesday, May 5th: 9:30 am – 1:00 pm: Our MBS Corps volunteered help to make the Penobscot Special Olympics Track and Field Event at the UMaine stadium a great success!
Wednesday, April28th (Maine Day): Our MBS volunteered worked in the rain to beautify the front of the Donald P Corbett Business Building, putting our new mulch, weeding, etc… thank you volunteers!!
Saturday, April 24th: Hope Festival! 11:00 am- 4:00pm in the UMaine Student Rec. center. Our volunteers “person’d” a table to create awareness of the MBS Corps.
- Saturday, April 10th: Hike for the Homeless: : We had several of our MBS Corps folks walk the 4.5 miles from Veazie to the Bangor Waterfront to raise funds and awareness for the Bangor Homeless Shelter.
-Saturday, April10th: The MBS Corps cooked a spaghetti supper for families at the Ronald McDonald House!
- Friday, March 26th at 2 pm: a group of our MBS Corps students spent the afternoon working at Bangor Humane Society. They cleaned, made dog toys and beds and learned more about this great organization!
Spruce Run Silent Auction: Saturday, March 20th: Some of our MBS Corps volunteers helped in this great fund-raising event. Please click here to see the pictures.
Special Olympics: Feb. 8- 9 Some of our MBS Corps volunteers showed up on Monday and Tuesday and helped with the games. Everyone was a winner! Click here to see some photos of the games.
UMaine Habitat for Humanity: Feb 8-11 “Snow Place Like Home”
In an effort to raise awareness of ongoing substandard housing problems in the great Bangor Maine area, members of the Habitat for Humanity Campus Chapter at the University of Maine spent 3 days e in a makeshift shanty erected on the university mall. Thanks to these hardy volunteers, the UMaine group raised over $2200 for Habitat for Humanity… job well done!
Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure: Click here to see them on Sunday morning, September 20, 2009.