Who are we?
The MBS Corps is the Maine Business School’s community outreach organization.
What do we do and why?
The mission of the MBS Corps is to be the outreach organization of the Maine Business School with a focus on primarily helping smaller Maine-based non-profit organizations where we can have a greater impact. We also seek to help our students develop their leadership, organizational, management, marketing and other business skills while developing friendships and networks in a fun, supportive environment. We have fun, we have a wonderful community and we make a difference… please join us! Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
We have a terrific group of students who have “hit the ground running” with the following activities for this year:
- Leadership training: Marine Captain SC very generously volunteered to do a leadership workshop with our MBS Corps and GBA-NAWMBA leaders. The first session on Sept 10 went through the core principles in leadership and the second session, Sept 24 applied those principles at the ropes course. Pictures coming soon!
- Saturday, Sept 26: The MBS Corps will help with the Summit Project by “personing” aid stations along the hike with water and home-baked goods to help remember and honor the Maine Heroes who were lost since 2001. We will also help in the official ceremony and then help at the military appreciation UMaine football game that afternoon by giving yellow ribbons and thank you’s to Veterans and currently serving military peopld.
- Thursday: Oct 1: A nationally renowned Stop 22 – K9’s for Warriors Veteran will talk with us in preparation for the Oct 4: Out of the Darkness Suicide prevention walk
- Sunday, Oct 4: UMaine Mall: “Out of the Darkness” suicide prevention- awareness march
- Thursday, Oct 8: Resume workshop conducted by Career Center
- Sat., Oct 17: MBS Homecoming: the MBS Corps will assist with the MBS homecoming coffee with set-up, greeting alumni, a raffle with great prizes and a special surprise!
- Other upcoming activities:
- Late October: 2nd annual march against domestic violence: MBS Corps in collaboration with UMaine Athletics and the UMaine student Women’s Association will hold a march in the mall to raise awareness about this serious problem.
- PIFSAK: Pay it forward with simple acts of kindness… when you least expect it!
- MBS Corps food pantry nook: our leader will be doing some fund-raising to fill the shelves
- Ronald McDonald House: our leader will get a group of MBS Corps members together to cook a nice, hot meal for families of sick children who stay at the RMH while their children are in the hospital
- Adopt a family: In December, the MBS Corps will contribute to the Salvation Army program of adopting families to provide gifts to children in need.
- Greeting Troops: will greet Troops to honor their service and sacrifice.
- Environmental policy committee: Research on climate change and its impact on Maine.
Spring semester, 2015
This has been a great semester. As always, we are helping students across the University by keeping the food pantry nook stocked. Did you know that college students may be the most food-deprived of all Americans? Click here to read article. Our MBS Corps along with MBS faculty have kept our food pantry nook stocked continually!
Maine Day! Wednesday, April 29th: a day of service at the University. The MBS Corps worked with the UMaine student Veteran association to clean up and restore a WW II memorial that had been sadly neglected over the years. Click here to see the pictures!
Nets 4 Pets basketball tournament to benefit the Bangor Humane Society! On Sunday, April 19th, our wonderful MBS Corps students held this second annual tournament to help animals in our community. Click here to see the pictures.
Zimmerman Challenge 2015: On Saturday, April 18th, teams of MBS Corps students as well as MBS students, sponsored by MBS faculty, participated for the 5th year in the LT Zimmerman memorial Marine fitness challenge to honor and remember a fallen UMaine student. Click here to see the pictures.Click here to see the funny MBS Corps video.
Hike for the Homeless: On Saturday, April 11th, a group of MBS Corps students participated for the 4th year in the annual hike for the homeless to raise money to help the Bangor Area Homeless shelter. Click here to see the pictures.
PIFSAK! (Pay it forward with simple acts of kindness). Just before Easter, several of our MBS Corps folks along with our moose mascot walked around campus and gave out candy and smiles… maybe even a few hugs from the moose! For Valentines day, (actually on Friday, Feb 13), 2 teams of MBS Corps students roamed the campus armed with valentines and chocolates which they gave to people they encountered to give them a smile.
Cooking dinner for families of sick children at the Ronald McDonald House: Sat. Feb 21, 2015
Click here to see the pictures. A team of our students went to the Ronald McDonald house in Bangor and cooked 3 delicious casseroles for families of sick children who are staying at the house while their children stay at Eastern Maine Medical Center. This means that the families can return after a day at the hospital to a hot meal ready for them and time to relax and hopefully give them a smile after a long day.
Fall semester, 2014
Fall semester was great with a terrific team of students. We ran the MBS Corps food pantrynook throughout the semester, supported Troops by sending care packages and writing letters to a group of Marines on a consistent basis, and even greeted some Troops one evening as they returned home. We also helped with Veteran’s week by making and distributing yellow ribbons to Veterans during the military appreciation football game and during the commemoration ceremony. One of our members created a fun MBS faculty calendar as a fund-raiser. Another member managed an effort to help families in need during the holiday by coordinating a drive for gifts for 4 families in the Bangor area. The other events are shown below.
October 30, 2014: March against domestic violence! The MBS Corps team worked collaboratively with UMaine athletics and the student women’s association to do a march against domestic violence. The goal was to raise awareness that there is zero tolerance and everyone should work to stop this. Click here to see pictures.
October, 2014: Ronald McDonald House: the MBS Corps team cooked a great dinner for families of sick children who were staying at the RMH. Click here for pictures.
We have some great projects this semester. We started with a fun team-building session. Click here to see pictures.
- Bangor Area Homeless Shelter
- Bangor Humane Society
- Hammond Street Senior Center
- The Maine Troop Greeters
- Ronald McDonald House
- Special Olympics
- Spruce Run
We are also affiliated with our UMaine student organizations:
- Alpha Kappa Psi
- Bodwell Center for Service and Volunteerism
- Gamma Sigma Sigma
- Student Affairs
How can you help?
Contact us to help in one, or maybe several of these organizations. If you have a special organization in mind that is not on the list, please let us know. Become a team leader or take some time from your schedules to make a difference in our community and in the lives of many who need us. These experiences can have a tremendous impact on the organizations you work with. Volunteering also helps you differentiate yourself with practical, real-world experience in preparation for your business careers! email@example.com
To volunteer, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org