Home - Understanding Regulations and Taxes
In general, the federal, state, and municipal laws affecting agriculture are enacted to protect agricultural producers; their livestock and crops; the natural resources they utilize; and the health, safety and well-being of the people consuming their products. Whether you’re raising livestock, growing vegetables, making maple syrup or harvesting your woodlot, be sure you know the regulations and requirements that affect your industry and chosen livelihood.
- Maine Statutes are searchable by title, section or phrase. Many of the laws affecting agriculture are under Title 7
- Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry has several divisions that administer regulations:
- Maine Revenue Service provides information through its various tax divisions:
- Maine Forest Service
- Maine Farm Bureau is a non-governmental, non-profit voluntary organization that lobbies for issues important to agriculture, landowners and the rural way of life.
- Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association is, also, involved with public policy initiatives
- Maine Permit and License Forms issued by the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry
- Income Tax Tips for Beginning Farmers from National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service (ATTRA)