2014-2015 New England Small Fruit Management Guide
Copies of the 2014-2015 New England Vegetable Management Guide, along with the 2014 Northeast Vegetable & Strawberry Pest Identification Guide, are now available and sold as one unit for $25.00 plus $3.65 postage. To order the guides, please send your check made payable to “UMaine Cooperative Extension” to Pam St. Peter, Highmoor Farm, P.O. Box 179, Monmouth, Maine 04259.
The guide has been extensively revised and updated. We recommend all earlier editions of the guide be discarded, in favor of this latest edition.
For more information, contact Pam St. Peter or call 207.933.2100.
UMaine Extension offers Hayfield, Pasture Management Workshops
University of Maine Cooperative Extension is offering free workshops on hayfield and pasture management this spring around the state.
Rick Kersbergen, UMaine Extension educator in Waldo County, will lead the “Got Hayfields?” workshops, which focus on how to best manage hayfields and pastures to produce high-quality feed for livestock. Topics include weed control, managing soil fertility, hay and pasture renovation techniques, grazing management and basics of forage quality.
Workshops are scheduled for the following dates, times and locations:
- April 3, 6-8 p.m., Farmington Grange, 124 Bridge St., West Farmington
- April 10, 7-9 p.m., UMaine Extension, 307 Maine Ave., Bangor
- April 24, 6:30-8:30 p.m., Vassalboro Grange, Route 32, East Vassalboro
- April 30, 2-4 p.m., UMaine Extension, 57 Houlton Road, Presque Isle
- May 14, 5:30-7:30 p.m., UMaine Extension, 24 Main St., Lisbon Falls
- June 3, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Noon Family Sheep Farm, 78 Sunset Road, Springvale
Pre-registration is requested. To register, or to request a disability accommodation, call 1.800.287.1426, or visit the Waldo County Extension program page.
Organic Livestock Health Care
with Susan Beal
April 12, 2014; 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.; Common Ground Education Center, Unity.
Please bring a bag lunch and Register here.
Susan has a clear understanding of organic livestock care and its relation to physiology, nutrition, herbs and homeopathy. She will give a good overview related to all species.
Morning: Patterns and Articulation: Individual and Intergenerational Health and Vitality
Afternoon: Building Holistic Health: Patterns and Practices, Tools and Techniques
Question and Answer Session
Midcoast Broadband & Small Business Forum –
Learn how to use high speed internet to
grow your small business!
With Nancy Marshall, Marketing and Communications Expert
Tuesday, April 15, 6:00-7:30 p.m.
At 3 locations:
- Mt. Ararat High School, 73 Eagles Way, Topsham
- Wiscasset High School, 272 Gardiner Road, Wiscasset
- Mid-Coast School of Technology, 1 South Main Street, Rockland
Doors open at 5:30 pm. Light refreshments will be served. This event is free. Space is limited, RSVP preferred. To RSVP, please contact Merrymeeting Adult Education (Topsham) or 729-7323.
Tuesday, March 18, 9-11:30 a.m.
Friday, March 21, 9-11:30 a.m.
Thursday, April 10, 1-3:30 p.m.
Eastside Office Complex, Deering Building,
Room 319, 90 Blossom Lane, Augusta, Maine
The Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry will offer three free clinics to help interested farmers confirm their eligibility, and practice applying, for the Maine Farms for the Future Business Planning Grant due out in mid-September. Space is limited to 15 participants per clinic.
Please call Kimbalie Lawrence at 207.287.3491 to reserve your place at the table, or to request a disability accommodation, and get a jump on your application.
Transferring the Farm
A Workshop to Help Farm Families Minimize Farm Business Succession Risk by addressing estate planning, business structures, and developing plans to move your farm to the next generation.
Two dates/locations from which to choose:
April 1, 2014
Cooperative Extension Office
307 Maine Ave.
April 2, 2014 – POSTPONED UNTIL FALL 2014
Androscoggin-Sagadahoc Extension Office
24 Main Street
Lisbon Falls, ME
Additional information and registration available here, 2014 Transferring the Farm Brochure Bangor and Lisbon Falls. Registration deadline is March 28.
Poultry Webinars Upcoming and Archived from eXtension
View free webinars on small and backyard flocks from eXtension!
- Hatching and brooding your own chicks (Feb. 17, 2014, 7:00 p.m. EST)
- National Poultry Improvement Plan for exhibition poultry
(Mar. 10, 2014, 8:00 p.m. EDT)
- Composting for poultry (Apr. 10, 2014, 8:30 p.m. EDT)
Recently Archived Webinars
- Controlling internal parasites in small and backyard poultry flocks
- Establishing regulations for keeping urban poultry flocks
- Setting up a community chicken flock
- Predator management with small and backyard poultry flocks