Master Gardener Volunteers
Becoming a Master Gardener Volunteer takes a passion for green and growing things, and interest in sharing your enthusiasm for gardening with friends, neighbors, and the community.
Master Gardener Volunteers enjoy helping to create beauty in public as well as private spaces, and helping others learn how to grow their own food.
We are young and older; male and female; students, workers and retirees; and we all share an interest in nature, the environment, and growing plants.
Apply for the 2015 Master Gardener Volunteer Training!
Applications are currently closed for the 2014 course. Please contact the UMaine Extension Androscoggin & Sagadahoc Counties office at 207.353.5550 or 1.800.287.1458 (in Maine) or KymNoelle Sposato to receive information for the 2015 Master Gardener Volunteer course when available.
If you are a person with a disability and need an accommodation to participate in this program, please call 207.353.5550 or 1.800.287.1458 (in Maine) to discuss your needs. Receiving requests for accommodations at least 14 days before the program provides a reasonable amount of time to meet the request, however all requests will be considered.
All 2014 training sessions are scheduled from 5:30 PM to 8:30 PM on Thursdays at the Good Shepherd Food Bank, 3121 Hotel Road in Auburn, except where noted.
- Thursday, February 27, 2014 - Orientation to UMaine Cooperative Extension and Master Gardener Volunteers with Tori Jackson, Extension Educator, and Food Security with GSFB (PRE-TEST)
- Thursday, March 6, 2014 - Basic Soil Science & Soil Testing, with Richard Brzozowski, Extension Educator
- Friday, March 14, 2014 - Botany for Home Gardeners with Barbara Murphy, Extension Educator
- Thursday, March 27, 2014 - Volunteer Risk Management /VOLT Intro. & Lisbon Youth Community Garden Project with Sarah Sparks, 4-H Professional
- Thursday, April 3, 2014 - Small Fruit and Good Agricultural Practices (GAP)- Food Safety AT LISBON FALLS OFFICE with David Handley, Extension Small Fruit and Vegetable Specialist
- Thursday April 10, 2014 - Vegetables I with Mark Hutton, Extension Vegetable Specialist
- Thursday, April 17, 2014 - Vegetables I and Seed Saving with Mark Hutton, Extension Vegetable Specialist
- Thursday, April 24, 2014 - Tree Fruit, Renae Moran, Extension Tree Fruit Specialist
- Saturday, April 26, 2014 - ** Composting for Gardeners with Mark Hutchinson, Extension Educator **9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. FIELD TRIP TO HIGHMOOR FARM COMPOST SCHOOL
- Thursday, May 1, 2014 - Pesticide Use and Storage and the Yardscaping Program with Gary Fish, Board of Pesticides Control, Maine Department of Agriculture
- Thursday, May 8, 2014 - Plant Diseases and First Detector Training with Bruce Watt, Extension Plant Pathologist
- Thursday, May 15, 2014 - Insect Pests with Clay Kirby, Extension Entomologist
- Thursday, May 22, 2014 - Master Gardener Volunteers and Volunteerism with UMaine, Liz Stanley & Tori Jackson, Extension - HAND OUT TAKE-HOME FINAL EXAM
- Thursday, May 29, 2014 - Volunteering in Androscoggin and Sagadahoc Counties with Certified MGVs & Tori Jackson, Extension. Hand In Final Exam (POST-TEST)