Skip Navigation
Return to Layout View | Home | A-Z Directory | my UMaine | MaineStreet | Campus Map | Calendar
Follow UMaine on Twitter | Join UMaine on Facebook | Watch UMaine on YouTube | Admissions | Parents & Family | Emergency

Advisor's Handbook

Site Navigation:

Alphabetical Index




Students may send and receive fax messages at the Memorial Union Information Booth This service is available while booth is staffed. Call (207) 581-1740 for fax rates.


Various fees are charged to both part-time and full-time students. Questions regarding these fees may be directed to the Bursar’s Office.


Education records are kept by University offices to facilitate the educational development of students. Faculty and staff members may also keep informal records relating to their functional responsibilities with individual students. A Federal law, the Family Educational Rights And Privacy Act of 1974, as amended (FERPA), also known as the Buckley Amendment, affords students certain rights concerning their education records. Students have the right to have some control over the disclosure of information from their records. Educational institutions have the responsibility to prevent improper disclosure of personally identifiable information from the records.


Field experience, practica, and independent study (readings, etc.) are normally taken in the student’s major. Problem courses, practica, and independent study courses outside the student’s major, and especially outside the student’s college, require special prior permission from his or her academic advisor and dean.


The Office of Student Financial Aid administers a variety of Federal, State and University aid programs to help both undergraduate and graduate students finance their education. Office staff award, process, and disburse financial aid for University of Maine students, and advise students and their families, the campus community, and the general public on issues related to financial aid. To make a proper judgment as to the amount and types of assistance each student can receive, students are required to apply for financial aid each year. The University of Maine requires only one aid application: the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Priority consideration is given to the earliest complete applications for financial aid. To be considered an “on- time” applicant, the FAFSA (or Renewal Application) must be received at the Federal processing center before the March 1 prior to the start of the Fall Semester for which the student wishes to receive financial assistance (recommended mailing date: February 15). Aid is still available for applicants who miss the deadline, but may be limited.


To be eligible for most types of financial aid, each student must be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen, must be offered admission to a University of Maine degree program, and must have earned a high school diploma or G.ED. Continuing students also must be in good academic standing, and must be making satisfactory progress toward their degree (see Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid Recipients). Financial aid is not available for audited classes and for non-degree enrollment. Students participating in cooperative employment programs, internships and field experience also may not be eligible for financial aid for that semester because they usually are not enrolled at least half-time (see Cooperative Education). Most types of financial aid require at least half-time enrollment each semester. Financial aid is awarded based upon actual credit load each semester, per Federal regulations, regardless of official University status (see Full-Time Students).

For a comprehensive Financial Aid Glossary, go to


Call 911 for emergencies, or refer students to the Cutler Health Center (see Health Center)


First Class is the proprietary electronic communication system used by most faculty, staff, and students at UMaine. It is operated and managed through Information Technologies. All UMaine students and employees are entitled to free accounts. Visit Information Technologies in Shibles Hall.

FIRST YEAR EXPERIENCE (FYE) and First Year Center (FYC) – See

The First Year Center provides support to new students in their first year at the university through programming, academic initiatives, individualized outreach and by connecting students to campus resources and services. Our Academic Support Coordinators work to support first-year students who are academically at-risk and provide academic support in the residence halls. Faculty and staff members who have concerns about first-year students should contact the Assistant Director at 207-581-1420.



Foundations Program provides students who do not meet the admissions standards for their chosen major an opportunity to matriculate on an academic contract with a restricted class schedule. This one-year program is designed to allow students to adjust to the college environment and the academic rigors required at the University of Maine. Students enroll in a first-year seminar taught by their academic advisor as well as courses that fulfill the general education requirements. No math or lab science courses can be taken during the first semester without exceptional high school grades in those areas. Students with a GPA of 1.0 or below are suspended after the fall semester. Students with a 2.5 or above GPA may request transfer to appropriate colleges. Students completing the year with an overall GPA below 1.5 are also suspended.


The University of Maine supports the Greek system and maintains a listing of current fraternities. Questions or information on fraternities should be directed to the Division of Student Affairs, Greek Life Office. Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs is located on the bottom floor of the Memorial Union and can be reached by calling 581-4183.


The Franco-American Centre is an advocate for the Franco American Reality at the University of Maine and the region. It serves as a bridge between the Franco American community and the University. The Centre stimulates the development of academic and program offerings relevant to the history and life experience of this ethnic group in Maine and New England. In addition, the Centre promotes bilingual, bicultural and multicultural models of delivery of services; work experiences for university students; maintains a readily available library of materials and information, and has established a network of resources in Maine and North America to assist students, faculty, administrators, and agencies with their research and programming needs relative to Franco-Americans and other Maine cultural communities.


Undergraduate students registered for twelve (12) or more semester hours of credit are classified as full-time students. Students who fail to maintain the appropriate credit load for full-time status may jeopardize eligibility for financial aid, athletic eligibility, veteran’s benefits and eligibility for campus housing. Upon recommendation by the University of Maine Coordinator of Services for Students with Disabilities, and the Special Student Services Advisory Committee, and upon approval by the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost (or designee), undergraduate students requesting reasonable accommodation for a documented disability who register for fewer than twelve hours of academic credit per semester but no fewer than six hours will be granted the full rights and privileges of full-time student. However, eligibility for most types of financial aid is based upon actual credit load each semester, regardless of official University status. Students who are granted reduced course load status will be assessed mandatory fees in accordance with University policy. In some cases, receipt of particular benefits is contingent upon payment of appropriate fees.


Contact Information

Go Blue!
The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469