VALEDICTORIAN / SALUTATORIAN
From the graduating seniors at the May Commencement (comprised of degree candidates from May, the preceding December, and the following August), the two highest ranking baccalaureate degree candidates are designated class valedictorian (highest) and salutatorian (next highest). To be eligible for this honor a student must have completed at least 90 credits of University of Maine coursework exclusive of pass/fail or incomplete grades. All credits counting toward the baccalaureate degree must have been completed within the 8 years preceding the anticipated graduation date.
VETERANS EDUCATION AND TRANSITION SERVICES (VETS) - See http://www.umaine.edu/veterans/
The VETS office provides Support and advocacy for veteran students, assistance in solving problems related to education, advice regarding VA Educational Benefits, certification to the VA for each semester of enrollment and any change of enrollment, referrals to University resources and other agencies, verification of pursuit of training, and assistance with credit for prior learning. Our office is located in room 143 Memorial Union and we can be reaches at 207-581-1316The Office of Veteran’s Affairs, 5781 Wingate Hall, Orono, ME 04469-5781, (207) 581-1316, provides the following services:
- Counseling veterans regarding educational benefits
- Processing applications for Veterans Educational Benefits
- Maintaining a file of each veteran receiving benefits
- Certification of student drawing benefits
- Providing assistance in solving problems related to educational assistance;
- Making special arrangements related to Veterans Educational Benefits;
- Directing veterans to various other agencies to help solve problems not related to Educational Benefits.
In addition, the Commuter and Non-traditional Student Program, part of the Division of Student Affairs, provides support services for veteran students and families.
The University Volunteer Ambulance Corp (UVAC) will respond to most on-campus emergency calls. UVAC is a professional ambulance service staffed by UMaine students who are also EMTs. Dial 911.