Skip Navigation

Alphabetical Index

Below is a list of alphabetized areas that you may want to refer to in working with your advisees. It contains information on which University office is responsible for each area, contact information and policy information. Following the list is a more detailed description of each item.



For University-Sanctioned Events: Students who miss class because of participation in a University-sanctioned event (e.g., varsity athletics, band, drama, special field trips, etc.) should talk directly with the instructor of the course affected BEFORE THE ABSENCE OCCURS to arrange making up the work missed. Students may obtain official absence slips from their academic deans. Instructors presented with a signed absence slip are required to provide an opportunity for students to make up work missed. The individual scheduling a sanctioned activity should provide each dean’s office, at least one week in advance, a list of participating students who will miss classes on a specified date(s). Normally, students coordinate such absences directly with the instructors of courses affected. Unexcused Absences: see ATTENDANCE


ACADEMIC DISMISSAL – See Academic Standing

ACADEMIC FORGIVENESS – See Transcript Re-Evaluation


Students of the University are expected to be honest and forthright in their academic endeavors. To falsify the results of one’s research, to steal the words or ideas of another or to cheat on an examination corrupts the essential process by which knowledge is advanced. Such plagiarism, the submission of another’s work as one’s own without adequate attribution, and cheating are violations of the University of Maine Student Conduct Code.

Although disciplinary action taken under this code is independent of the awarding of grades (an academic matter) and provisions of this code cannot be used for changing awarded grades, an instructor who has probable cause or reason to believe that a student has cheated may act upon such evidence. This may include dropping the student from the course with an-assigned grade of F. Should the instructor elect this option, that decision should be communicated in writing to the Office of Student Records within two weeks of the time the offense is discovered. The student may not circumvent such action by dropping the course either before or after the failing grade is submitted, regardless of the drop policy in effect at that point in the semester. The grade will be considered to be effective from the date and time when the offense occurred, not from the date when the Office of Student Records receives formal notification. The student may appeal the F grade through the Academic Appeal Procedure. The instructor may, either in addition to or in place of a failing grade, refer the case to the department chairperson, the academic dean, or the Conduct Officer for appropriate disciplinary action. The maximum possible sanction which may be imposed, and which will necessarily depend on the degree of seriousness of the case, is dismissal from the University.



Probation - The minimum acceptable accumulative grade point average needed for graduation is 2.0. Therefore any GPA below 2.0 is a warning to a student that such work will not permit graduation. Students are placed on probation following a semester in which her or his accumulative grade point average falls below 2.0, and a student may be placed on probation following a semester in which he or she receives a semester grade point average less than 2.0. A student on probation who does not improve her or his accumulative grade point average to a 2.0 may be continued on probation. A student continued on academic probation will be required to meet certain conditions defined by his or her college dean. These conditions will specify the level of coursework and academic achievement required to be removed from probation. The action is posted to the official academic record.

Continued Probation – see Probation

Academic Suspension – Academic suspension indicates that a student is separated from the University for a minimum of one semester. A student must file an application for readmission. Suspension is the usual action when a student fails to make normal progress toward graduation. Situations that lead to academic suspension are any one of the following:

  • Students receive a semester grade-point average at or below 1.0
  • Students continued on academic probation fail to meet conditions as defined by the college dean, program director or school director
  • First-year students (0-23 credits) acquire an accumulative average less than 1.5 at the end of the first two semesters; Sophomores (24-53 credits) acquire an accumulative average of 1.7 or less; Juniors (54-83 credits) acquire an accumulative average of 1.8 or less; Seniors (84+ credits) acquire an accumulative average of 1.9 or less

Regulations under c. above also apply to transfer students. Exceptions may be made for students who have earned a semester average of at least 2.0 while on probation but who have not achieved the required minimum accumulative average. The action is posted to the official academic record. A hold is placed on the student record to preclude enrollment as a student at all UMS institutions. Academic Dismissal – Dismissal is normally the final action taken when students are not making satisfactory progress toward a degree or when students readmitted after suspension show no improvement in their accumulative average or otherwise fail to meet conditions set by the college.

  • The student is not normally allowed to apply for readmission
  • The action is posted to the official academic record
  • A hold is placed on the student record to preclude enrollment as a student at all UMS institutions


The functions of the Academic Standing Committee are:

  1. To determine at the end of each semester which University of Maine students are making satisfactory progress and which are not. Those students who are not making satisfactory progress are placed on probation, suspended, or dismissed.
  2. To advise and assist the Associate Provost & Dean for Undergraduate Education on various matters relating to undergraduate academic programs. The membership of the ASC includes: Associate Provost & Dean for Undergraduate Education, as chair; Associate Dean of each college; Director, Explorations program; Director, School of Engineering Technology; Dean, Division of Lifelong Learning, or designee; Director, College Success Program; Director, Office of Student Records. All members are appointed ex officio by the President without term.


The University offers a wide variety of academic support services, most of which are listed under specific headings in this handbook (See TUTORING for information on tutoring, for example.) Two organized support services are:

ACADEMIC SUPPORT SERVICES FOR STUDENT ATHLETES This program’s functions are to assist student athletes to be academically successful, and to monitor the academic eligibility of student athletes for athletic competition.

STUDENT ACADEMIC SUPPORT SERVICES This program provides professional advising and logistical support for pre-med and pre-law students through the Office of Health and Legal Professions.

EXPLORATIONS PROGRAM This program is an advising program for entering students not ready to select a college or academic major. Students may remain in the program for one year.

FOUNDATIONS Foundations provide students who do not meet the admissions standards for their chosen major and opportunity to matriculate on an academic contract with a restricted class schedule. This one-year program is designed to allow students to adjust to the college environment and the academic rigors required at the University of Maine. Students enroll in a first-year seminar taught by their academic advisor as well as courses that fulfill the general education requirements. No math or lab science courses can be taken during the first semester without exceptional high school grades in those areas. Students with a GPA of 1.0 or below are suspended after the fall semester. Students with a 2.5 or above GPA may request transfer to appropriate colleges. Students completing the year with an overall GPA below 1.5 are also suspended.

ACADEMIC SUSPENSION – See Academic Standing


The Office of Campus Activities and Student Engagement offers information and assistance to students looking to become involved in one or more of the 150+ organizations and clubs on campus. In addition, the office is available to assist student organizations with their planning needs. To learn more about student activities and organizations at UMaine, contact the Campus Activities Office, 5748 Memorial Union, 581-1736.


  • UMaine students who preregistered for the term may add and drop courses on MaineStreet or from any campus location, except for courses with restrictions.
  • Restricted courses require the student to consult with the department in which the course is offered. Examples: courses for majors only and courses with “Permission” as a prerequisite. Some students may not have met a stated course prerequisite, and MaineStreet will block their enrollment. Departments have the discretion to override MaineStreet when appropriate. A phone call to the department office is the best way to start this consultation, and advisors may helpfully initiate such consultations by calling from their offices to find out the unit’s preferred process.
  • Students may add a class themselves on MaineStreet or at any campus location during the first week without an advisor’s signature.
  • To add a course after the first week, students must fill out an Add-Drop form available in college and program offices. This requires the signature of the instructor and the student’s advisor. The form must be turned in to the college/program office for final approval and enrollment.
  • Students may drop a class during the first two weeks of the semester without an advisor’s signature, but must have an advisor’s signature and submit an Add-Drop form after that. They cannot drop on MaineStreet after this deadline. After that date, as well, no refunds are given except where there are exceptional circumstances documented. This date is also the last day on which a course grading status can be changed (e.g. from Grade to Pass-Fail).
  • The process of dropping a course after the first two weeks requires an advisor’s signature and a college/program signature, but does not require an instructor’s signature. Each term, the Office of Student Records will announce a deadline for dropping a course and leaving no trace on the student’s transcript, normally about a month after the semester begins. Most college/program offices will disseminate these and other important OSR deadlines to their teaching faculty, as well. Please be aware of such memos.
  • Each term, the Office of Student Records will announce a deadline for withdrawing in passing status (W) from a course. This is normally another month or so after the Drop deadline. This is also normally the last date on which a student can change from Credit to Audit status.
  • The process of withdrawal requires a signature from the advisor and college or program office, but does not require an instructor’s signature.
  • Once the withdrawal deadline has passed, a student will receive the grade of WF, which is calculated in the GPA like the grade of F– as zero.
  • If a student has begun the process of dropping or withdrawing from a class by contacting the advisor on or before the deadline, then the college/program office may be able to date the paperwork as of that date as a courtesy to the advisor. Please consult with your Associate Dean or Director about their discretion on this point.
  • No one but the student himself or herself can initiate registration changes affecting their enrollment. Sometimes, new students assume that if they get an instructor’s permission to add a course, that the instructor will add them to the class roster. Please help your advisees know that the system requires students to take action on their own behalf, either by adding and dropping directly on MaineStreet or by filling out the appropriate paperwork. Department and college offices will be happy to assist them and their advisors.

When there are extraordinary circumstances beyond a student’s control that affect the ability to attend class and fully participate, then the Assoc. Deans and program directors may be able to provide help in the form of retroactive medical schedule adjustments. Advisors and students should contact the college or program office to explore these options.


Students are required to report their correct address at the time of registration or as soon thereafter as it is known. Any changes of address must be updated in MaineStreet. The address should be the student’s actual place of residence. If the mailing address is different, it should also be updated in MaineStreet.



Undergraduate advising at the University of Maine is the responsibility of the colleges; therefore, the details of advising programs may differ from one college to another. However, every University of Maine undergraduate student should have an assigned academic advisor at all times, and the student should know that person’s name, campus address, and campus phone number. Students can find their assigned advisor’s name at their MaineStreet Student Center. Faculty and staff can see the same information by searching for the student at the MaineStreet Student Services Center. [Navigate from the MaineStreet portal to Enterprise Applications > Campus Solutions > Campus Community > Student Services Ctr (Student).] Contact the associate dean’s office of the appropriate college if specific information is needed.

A complete overview of MaineStreet’s Advisement functionality can be found as a PDF document at the link below, or by navigating from either the MaineStreet login page or the portal page to Training Tools & Materials > Training Materials > Campus Solutions > Student Records > Process Docs & Quick Guides, and then scrolling down to the section entitled TOPICS FOR FACULTY and ADVISORS.

An online tutorial of the same overview for non-Mac users can be found here or by navigating to Training Tools & Materials > Training Materials > Campus Solutions > UPK > UPK Player, and then opening the Topics for Faculty and Advisors folder, the Faculty Self-Service sub-folder, and clicking on “Advisement Overview” and then “Try It!”



When a student has reason to question an academic process or result, he/she has the right to file an appeal. Depending on the nature of the appeal, the process may differ slightly. Detailed policy information on appeals can be found in the appendix. Please note that maximum efforts and attempts should be exerted toward resolution of concerns without the necessity of appeal.


Athletics are an important part of the college experience for many of our students. Travel and practice make heavy demands on their schedules, and academic advisors should be aware of these constraints when helping them develop their schedules. The NCAA also places academic demands on student athletes that may make their programs less flexible than for other students. Advisors should consult with the Director of Academic Support Services for Student Athletes if there appears any possibility that a student’s program may not meet NCAA guidelines for progress towards a degree.

ATHLETICS (Recreational)

Through Campus Recreation, the University offers programs in recreation and competitive intramural sports. Because these activities are recognized as an integral part of the educational process, the University supports them with professional staff, equipment, and facilities. Further information can be obtained at the Student Recreation Center (207) 581-1082.


The University of Maine will not schedule athletic events during final examination periods in December and May. Participation of UMaine teams in post-season tournaments during examination week shall be determined by the President in consultation with the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost.


Part of the Unified Fee paid by students entitles them to attend athletic events. Contact the Department of Athletics to learn the current guidelines for tickets and the procedure for obtaining them.


Every student must accept the responsibility for satisfactory attendance in courses. Satisfactory attendance is determined in each course by the instructor, who will inform the student at the first class meeting of the attendance requirements and publish them in the course syllabus. Whenever, in the opinion of the instructor, a student’s absences impair the quality of her/his work, the instructor shall report this fact to the student’s dean.

NOTE: Federal Financial aid regulations require that, for any student who stops attending classes during the semester, a “last date of attendance” be determined with help from the student’s professors for use in adjusting the student’s financial aid award (see Institutional Withdrawal).


Normally, an audit registration means no exams or papers are required by the instructor, no grade is awarded, and no quality points or degree credit is earned. A regularly enrolled student who wishes to attend a course as an auditor should select the AUDIT option when registering. Tuition is charged for audited courses at the usual hourly rate. After the regular add-and-drop period, an audited course cannot be changed to a credit status. A course taken for credit may be changed to audit during the first one-third of the semester. During the second third of the semester a student may change to audit provided the student’s advisor and dean approve. NOTE: Student financial aid is not generally available for audited courses. Selecting the audit option may reduce a student’s financial aid award, including aid already awarded.

If students inquire about the audit option (when being advised, or getting instructor permission, or registering at your desk), please be sure they understand that AUDITS DO NOT COUNT TOWARD FULL-TIME STANDING. If a student does not have FT standing, that will affect financial aid and/or housing eligibility. Also, loan repayments will not be deferred as they are for FT students.

This will also affect students who begin the term with the grade option but want to switch to audit later. In most such cases, the student would be better off withdrawing than changing to audit status.

This is a long-standing but rather obscure policy. When a student is affected by it, however, it creates serious problems.

Pass/Fail and developmental classes (university but not graduation credit) DO count toward Full-Time standing, but may affect athletic eligibility. Athletes taking such courses should consult with Ann Maxim ( and 1-1833) before the end of Add-Drop.


Away status allows a student to register for study at another institution while still fully enrolled in his/her degree program at the University of Maine. Academic degree credit will be transferred from the host institution according to policies set by the student’s academic dean and the chair of the student’s major department; such transferred credit is not normally calculated into the student’s UMaine grade point average. A student wishing to register for “Away Status” must be in good academic standing. To insure that the intended study will be appropriate to the student’s overall academic program, the student must first discuss plans for study away with the dean and the academic advisor and obtain prior approval from both these individuals. Before a student pursues Summer Session courses in any institution (including UMaine), he/she must be in good academic standing and secure the prior approval of the dean and the chairperson of the student’s major department if the student expects degree credit for such work. Course equivalencies for any study away should be determined prior to registration. All approval and registration forms are available in the deans’ offices. Students studying away within the U.S., through the National Student Exchange program, or in a study abroad program, may be eligible to receive student financial aid from the University of Maine. The student must file the Away Registration form (available in deans’ offices) and meet with a staff advisor in the Office of Student Financial Aid to complete section 3. The University must have a consortium agreement with the host school or organization before financial aid can be released. For Study Abroad programs, the student should meet with the Study Abroad advisor in the Office of International Programs to find out if a consortium agreement exists or if one may be obtained. For study within the United States, the Office of Student Financial Aid will arrange the consortium agreement. In addition, the student must meet all the standard criteria for financial aid recipients. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required for all Federal, State, and for most University financial aid programs. Students planning to study at another institution within the University of Maine System must file the Multi-Campus Notification form.


Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Go Blue!
The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469