Professional Development - Professional Development Grants
As part of UMaine’s NSF supported ADVANCE Project, funds will be available to faculty in STEM and social and behavioral science (SBS) fields, and to other faculty who directly promote ADVANCE-related efforts aimed at increasing the representation and advancement of women in the academic STEM and SBS careers.
The 2015-2016 grants competition is now open!
- Awards will be made in the program areas highlighted below
- View updated Requests for Proposals for each program using the links below
- Submissions will be accepted from NOV 13, 2015, through DEC 11 (Event Co-sponsor Awards) and NOV 13 through JAN 11, 2016 (Research Seed; Leadership Development Awards)
- Previous grant recipients must submit required project reports before 2015-2016 applications will be considered. (Click link to access online form)
- Awards will be announced in February 2016
Click on the links below to view or print the updated RFPs and required application materials.
Professional Development Grant Links 2015-2016
- Research Seed Grants (3 awards): These awards can be used to develop new collaborations or to collect preliminary data that will facilitate submission of a competitive grant proposal or preparation of a peer-reviewed publication.
- Leadership Development and Career Advancement Grant (1 award): Funding to facilitate participation of women faculty in training, mentoring, and leadership and professional development activities.
- Event Co-sponsorship Awards – New in 2015 (3 awards): Partial funding to support campus presentations by renowned women scientists in STEM and SBS disciplines
Grant funds, in general, may be used to support: visiting scholars; PI travel to plan and conduct collaborative research; travel to UMaine from other UMS campuses; release time for professional development opportunities; equipment and summer salary to collect preliminary data to support research and proposal development; administrative internships; and other efforts supporting ADVANCE goals. Please refer to specific RFPs for additional detail and budget guidelines.
All applicants must describe how their proposed plan will influence the careers of STEM/SBS women, either directly or indirectly.
Program Guidelines 2015-2016 (PDF)
Event Co-sponsorship Application Form (PDF) Deadline: DEC 11
Event Co-sponsorship Budget Form (xls)
Research Seed and Leadership Development Grants Application Form (PDF)
Research Seed and Leadership Development Grants Budget & Budget Justification Form (xls)
Leadership & Professional Development Activities (PDF) Use this link to explore some funding-eligible opportunities.
ADVANCE Rising Tide Grants Program FAQ (PDF)
NSF Supported Disciplines (PDF)
Image Description: star
Image Description: Rumpho lab cropped
Back to Professional Development