Animal Science Resources - Dog
The Maine 4-H Dog Program is generally open to all youth ages 5-18. Dog ownership is not always necessary to participate in a 4-H dog club or 4-H dog events, although it is encouraged. 4-H Dog Program participants have two major state and regional 4-H dog events available to them each year as well as a few local 4-H Dog Shows. The first event is Maine 4-H Days Dog Camp, a weekend-long camp where 4-H participants of all levels from beginner to advanced learn all types of dog related knowledge. The second state-sponsored dog event is the Eastern States Exposition (ESE) 4-H Dog Activity where participants 12 and older are chosen to compete on a team that travels to West Springfield, Massachusetts to participate at the regional level against other state teams. A few Fairs around the state also offer 4-H Dog Shows open to all Maine 4-H Dog Project Members. For more information on any of these events please click on one of the links below.
General Dog Project Resources
- Required for participation in ALL Dog Events/Programs: Proof of Vaccinations for Dogs Word or PDF
- Vet Locator (Good for when traveling to another state with your pet)
- Amercian Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals – Dog Care
- Dog Breeds – Information and Facts
American Kennel Club Links
- American Kennel Club (AKC) – Great general resource
- AKC Breed Information
- AKC Rules and Regulations
- AKC General Agility Knowledge
- AKC Judges Directory
Other 4-H Dog Sites
- Minnesota State 4-H Dog Project
- Ohio 4-H Dog Program
- Washington State University Dog Project
- 4-H Resource (Great general 4-H dog project guide)
- New York State 4-H Dog Project
Get Your Wiggles & Wags dog workbooks at your local UMaine Extension Office.
For Dog Program Questions and ESE Dog Questions, Contact Nancy Conant.
Manuals and CD’s available for 6 major animal groups; equine, small ruminant (sheep and goats), canine, beef, dairy, and feline. You can order directly from the York County Shepherds 4-H Club from Sanford, Maine at a slight discounted price. This will support Maine 4-H as a portion of the price will go to the Maine 4-H Foundation. Contact Donna Flint at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail your order in to York County Shepherds, c/o University of Maine Cooperative Extension, 21 Bradeen St., Suite 302, Springvale, ME 04083. Manuals are $74.95 + $6.00 for shipping and handling; CD’s are $24.95 + $3.00 shipping and handling. You can view the manuals at the InfoVet web site. Click on the animal you wish to browse.
For more information on educational programs in your area, contact your UMaine Extension county office.