Animal Science Resources - Dairy
Eastern States Exposition Information & Forms
State 4-H Dairy Show
- 2013 Dairy Packet Word – PDF
- 4-H Contract for Rental/Lease of Dairy Animals (Word | PDF)
- Animal Approval Form for 4-H Animal Shows (Word | PDF)
- Dairy Judging– Saturday, April 13, 2013. Open to all 4-H Dairy project members. Official Judge: Matt Sneller, Conant Acres
- 9:30 AM – Meet at Highland Farms (152 Towles Hill Road) in Cornish for registration, directions
- 10:00 AM – Jersey Judging (Three Classes)
- 11:30 AM – Travel to Kayben Farms (Benson’s) in Gorham – Lunch along the way
- 1:00 PM – Kayben Farms – Holstein Judging (Four classes)
- 2:00 PM – Reasons (Two sets)
- 3:30 PM – Awards and pictures
- Fitting Competition – Saturday, July 20, 2013, 5:00 p.m. at the Windsor Fairgrounds
- Maine State 4-H Dairy Show – Sunday, July 21, 9:00 a.m. at the Windsor Fairgrounds
Dairy Project Resources
- University of Wisconsin 4-H Dairy Cattle site - A good source of information. Features a revolving judging contest, quiz bowl section, links to all the breed associations, publications, etc.
- Two Year Dairy Colleges
- Four Year Dairy Colleges
- University of Minnesota Fact Sheet (PDF) – Judging Dairy Cattle
Standard Equipment Box for Dairy and Livestock Members Descriptions
Dairy Quiz Bowl Questions and Practice
- Hoard’s Dairyman Youth Corner Dairy Quizzes – The youth quiz section of the website has questions from each issue. This magazine is a reference for the state and Big E Dairy Quiz Bowls.
- University of Wisconsin Questions
- Virginia Tech Questions
Manuals and CD’s available for 6 major animal groups; equine, small ruminant (sheep and goats), canine, beef, dairy, and feline. You can order directly from the York County Shepherds 4-H Club from Sanford, Maine at a slight discounted price. This will support Maine 4-H as a portion of the price will go to the Maine 4-H Foundation. Contact Donna Flint at email@example.com or mail your order in to York County Shepherds, c/o University of Maine Cooperative Extension, 21 Bradeen St., Suite 302, Springvale, ME 04083. Manuals are $74.95 + $6.00 for shipping and handling, CD’s are $24.95 + $3.00 shipping and handling. You can view the manuals at the InfoVet web site. Click on the animal you wish to browse.
For more information on educational programs in your area, contact your county Extension office.