Skip Navigation

Celebrating 150 years

Follow us on Twitter Join us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Contribute to our Flickr Group

1885–1894

Commencement in 1887

1887 Commencement

Commencement activities began Saturday and extended through Thursday in 1885. A college orchestra concert, cadet drills, a presidential reception, fraternity open houses and class day were some of the featured events, in addition to commencement, which included a dinner.

In 1886, the entire 51-cow herd at the college was exterminated due to tuberculosis.

In 1887, Congress passed the Hatch Act, which provided $15,000 annually which was used to fund the Maine Agricultural and Forest Experiment Station, which was founded as a division of the university.

The 1887–88 state appropriation to the college was $34,600. (In comparison, the 1878–79 appropriation was $6,500).

Coburn Hall was completed in 1888. It was named in memory of Abner Coburn, the 30th Maine governor.

President Fernald referred to 1890 as a transition between the college’s pioneer period and period of development.

In 1890, the second Morrill Act provided the college with additional funding. The Legislature suspended tuition for a time.

White Hall burned in 1890. Wingate Hall was built on the same site; it was completed in 1891. A  new dairy building and a horticulture building were also built.

By 1892, 367 people had graduated from the college. The most-popular career choices of the 348 living graduates were civil engineer (72), mechanical engineer (26), teacher (22), drafter (18), farmer (17) and lawyer (17).

In 1892, the football team played, and lost, two games.

Dr. Abram Winegardner Harris became president in 1893.

In 1894, courses were added in library economy, pharmacy and electrical engineering.

 

Back to through the decades